There’s nothing quite like freshly baked bread. But bread making is a complex and often time-consuming task, especially when you add in the extra difficulty of making it gluten-free. That’s why I stopped in my tracks when I found a bagel recipe that used no yeast, proofing time, or water bath. It was an intriguing concept. But could this process really work?
The short answer: yes it can! After only 20 minutes of prep time and 25 minutes of baking time, I had soft and chewy bagels with the structure to hold up any schmear or filling your heart desires. What’s more, the ingredient list was relatively simple. The true specialty addition is Greek yogurt, which lends an almost sourdough-like quality to the bagels. And at only 145 calories a piece, these are definitely a nice, lighter alternative to the typical bagel options out there.
So when you’re having a lazy weekend, there’s no need to take up the complicated bread bake – these easy-peasy bagels will do the trick!
Lazy Everything Bagels
Adapted from Gluten Free on a Shoestring
- 2 cups GF Flour Mix
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water (plus 2-4 Tablespoons, if needed)
- 1-2 teaspoons Everything Bagel seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the GF Flour Mix, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the Greek Yogurt, mixing with a fork at first and then your hands, until a cohesive dough is formed. If the mixture is too dry/crumbly, add in some water (1 Tablespoon at a time) until you have a workable dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work space. Use your hands to knead and shape the dough into a disc, and then divide evenly into 8 pieces with a knife.
- Roll a single piece between your hands to form a log shape, and then form a ring by pinching the two ends together.
- Place the dough ring onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a damp towel to keep the dough from drying out. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Once all bagels are shaped, whisk the egg white and 1 teaspoon water together in a small bowl. Brush the egg white mixture over the tops and sides of the bagels, and sprinkle with the Everything Bagel seasoning.
- Bake the bagels for 25 minutes in the oven and then place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Serving Size: 1 bagel
Total Fat: 1g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Carbohydrate: 29g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
*nutrition facts are estimations