Sun’s up, scones out! Summertime is officially here, which means dining al fresco, barbecuing out back, picnicking in parks, and – if you want to be extra fancy – a little tea-timing on the lawn. Just consider: a lush backyard, blue sky, ice tea, and these lemon blueberry beauts. At least, that was my summertime desire after plowing through a solid 40 episodes of The Great British Baking Show in a matter of weeks (no shame!). And thus, this recipe was born.
Light lemon with a burst of blueberry, these scones have a refreshing, not-too-sweet flavor – perfect for your summer needs. American scones tend to be more buttery than British ones, so this recipe also uses Greek yogurt to cut down on the fat content, while still producing a tender result.
I’ll admit, these are not authentic British scones (you can learn about the major differences between British and American scones here), but they are pretty tasty nevertheless! And because blueberries are in their seasonal prime, this recipe comes at the perfect time.
And if you’re looking for some additional baking inspiration, I can’t stress it enough: you must watch The Great British Baking Show. It’s a heart-warming series with charming contestants, hilarious hosts, and endless educational tips. For sweet and savory recipe ideas, or just a happy boost to your day, this show will deliver. Happy baking!
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 1½ cups GF Flour Mix
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, chopped
- ½ cup reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the GF Flour Mix, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fingertips, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Press the ball down until it is a 1-inch thick disc, and then use a knife to cut the dough into 8 segments.
- Place the 8 scones evenly across the baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops begin to brown.
- Remove the scones from oven and let cool 5 minutes on pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serving Size: 1 scone
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Total Carbohydrate: 35g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
*nutrition facts are estimations